Retail Representative Transactions
SUTHERLAND’S TRANSACTIONAL EXPERIENCE
We regularly handle retail transactions of all kinds for developers, owners, lenders and retailers in all major markets in the United States. Representative recent transactions and representations include the following:
- We represent long-standing client Ben Carter Properties in its land assemblage, development, financing and leasing and sales activities. Our most significant current project is a $1.2 billion landmark project located over eight acres in the heart of the Buckhead area of Atlanta, The Streets of Buckhead. This project will be an extremely high-end, mixed-use project containing retail, hotel, office and residential components. The restaurants and retailers who have already publicly announced that they will be in the project are as follows: Domenico Vacca; La Goulue; Japonais; Le Colonial; Bottega del Vino; Loro Piana; ETRO; Bottega Veneta; Borrelli; Hermes; Van Cleef & Arpels; Mayors Jewelers; Optical Shops of Aspen; Vilebrequin Equinox; John Lobb; and Oscar de la Renta.
- We represent The Sembler Company in connection with the development of retail projects in the Southeast and Puerto Rico. Representative transactions include Town Brookhaven, a mixed-use project on Peachtree Road in DeKalb County, Georgia; Winter Garden Village at Fowler Groves, a 1,100,000 square foot power center/lifestyle center anchored by Target, Lowe’s, Belk, Barnes & Noble and Best Buy, among other retailers; Town Briarcliff, the projected redevelopment of more than 100 acres located at the intersection of Briarcliff and North Druid Hills Road in DeKalb County, Georgia; the redevelopment of The Prado and Lindbergh Plaza in Atlanta; a mixed-use project in Midtown Atlanta now in the design phase; a Target-anchored shopping center in Kissimmee, Florida; the development, leasing and sale of Legacy Place, a 400,000 square foot shopping center in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida; and the sale of 5-property portfolio of properties located in Puerto Rico.
- We represented the Simon Property Group in connection with a project of approximately 200 acres located in Panama City Beach, Florida, containing 900,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and entertainment operators.
- We represent Ronus, Inc., the U.S. affiliate of Ronald de Waal, a European retail entrepreneur, in connection with its U.S. retail activities. Ronus currently owns 12 retail shopping centers comprised of more than 4 million square feet of gross leasable area.
- We represent Cypress Equities, the retail development arm of The Staubach Company, in retail development matters in a number of regions across the United States. Representative projects include Parkway Crossing East Shopping Center, a shopping center in Potomac Mills, Virginia, The Market at Spanish Fort, a shopping center located in Spanish Fort, Alabama now under development, Midtown Village, a lifestyle center located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, The Village at Leesburg, a mixed-use, vertical development now under construction in Leesburg, Virginia, and projects in Raleigh, North Carolina, King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, and Amesbury, Massachusetts.
- We regularly represent Hendon Properties, an Atlanta-based power center developer, in connection with its retail development and leasing activities. Over the last 10 years or so, we have represented Hendon Properties in connection with the development and leasing of power centers having in excess of 3 million square feet of gross leasable area.
- We represent Starwood Urban in its acquisition, development, redevelopment and leasing activities in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area and various other markets. Starwood owns and operates various commercial shopping centers and retail developments (including Chevy Chase Pavilion) and is one of the leading developers of urban retail projects.
- We represented Block Land & Finance Company in connection with the Bull Run, a mixed use community consisting of more than 500 acres located in Tallahassee, Florida, the retail components of which include a Wal-Mart Supercenter.
- We represent Crossroads Companies in connection with retail acquisitions and development transactions throughout New York and New Jersey. Significant recent transactions include the development of Crossroads at Somerset, a grocery-anchored shopping center in Franklin Township, New Jersey, and the acquisition of Riverfront Plaza, a 140,000 square foot strip center in Hackensack, New Jersey. We handle all aspects of these transactions, including environmental matters, debt and equity financing, purchase agreements, development agreements and construction contracts.
- We represent The Home Depot in connection with the development of Home Depot stores across the Southeast, the Northeast, Puerto Rico and Mexico. We are responsible for all legal aspects of these transactions including negotiating and documenting purchase and sale contracts, leases and other real estate documents (such as site development agreements and reciprocal easement agreements establishing the long term relationship between Home Depot, the developer and other retailers); coordinating all aspects of physical due diligence activities including title, survey and environmental matters; coordinating the activities of outside planning and zoning counsel and handling the closing process. Our lawyers have served as principal drafters of many of Home Depot’s form documents.
- We represent Circuit City in connection with the leasing of pad sites and shell stores the across country. We are responsible for drafting and negotiating leases, and coordinating site development and title due diligence, including review of reciprocal easement agreements. Our lawyers have served as principal drafters of many of Circuit City’s lease form documents. Sutherland has represented Circuit City in over 70 lease transactions throughout the country, including its flagship store in Manhattan and other stores in New York City.
- We represent Bed Bath & Beyond in connection with its stores throughout the country, including a mixed-use development in Queens, NY.
- We represent Inserra Supermarkets in connection with the development and leasing of supermarket stores and neighborhood grocery-anchored strip centers throughout New York and New Jersey. Inserra Supermarkets is one of the largest members of the Wakefern Cooperative, whose members own and operate “ShopRite” supermarkets in the Northeastern states. Significant recent transactions include lease and/or purchase transactions in New Milford, New Jersey, Wyckoff, New Jersey, Hillsdale, New Jersey, West Milford, New Jersey and Stony Point, New York. We handle all aspects of these transactions, including title and environmental due diligence, financing and negotiation of lease, purchase and development agreements.
If you desire, we would be happy to provide you names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of persons to contact at each of these client organizations. A representative list of our clients’ projects and tenants with whom we have dealt over the years is included.