In today’s global economy, our clients expect their cross-border disputes to be handled efficiently and effectively. We regularly help clients resolve their disputes in a way that aligns with their international business strategy.
Sutherland lawyers are experienced in international commercial arbitration, having served as arbitrators or advocates in proceedings involving the United States, Latin America, Asia and Europe.
Our attorneys have served as arbitrators or advocates in proceedings administered by:
- The International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR)
- The International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- The Finland, Milan, Paris, Stockholm and Zürich Chambers of Commerce
- The Inter-American Commercial Arbitration Commission
- The Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Atlanta International Arbitration Society (AtlAS)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- International Commercial Arbitration & Conciliation – UNCITRAL
- Chartered Institute of Arbitration
- International Bar Association
- International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) (equivalent to AAA)
- Ad hoc arbitration proceedings
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR)
Experience. From major construction projects to insurance matters, and large acquisitions to contract disputes, we work with companies across a variety of industries when they face a wide range of issues.
We have successfully employed alternative dispute resolution techniques in a wide range of international and industry-specific disputes, including:
- Business Torts
- Commodity Trading
- Construction & Construction Disputes
- Financial Services
- Insurance Coverage
- Intellectual Property
- Product Liability
- Real Estate
Collaboration. Our arbitration team regularly partners with our firm’s transactional teams to develop highly effective strategies, prioritizing our clients’ business goals.
Industry knowledge. Arbitration clauses are written more and more frequently into contracts in the commodities, construction, energy, financial services, insurance, manufacturing and shipping industries. Sutherland lawyers have decades of experience in these industries and understand these arbitration processes and the businesses that use them.
We work with Fortune 100, 500 and other global companies to analyze the most efficient and attractive dispute resolution options from the beginning of a transaction, and to navigate cross-border arbitration and judicial assistance proceedings if disputes arise. Our attorneys select industry and foreign experts, skillfully obtain evidence in foreign jurisdictions and engage accomplished local counsel when needed.